Find out more about Video Editing Software
What is Video Editing Software?
Video editing software enables you to use your computer to edit audio and video files using a modified or standard mouse and keyboard. This software can also be included in a turnkey video editing platform that utilizes a custom computer for editing. With this tool, you can easily make a copy of the edited work and make alterations to it separately from the original. Plus, you can add special effects, create titles digitally, and do other enhancement tasks. Needless to say, the power and speed of your computer and the capacity of your hard drive have a big say on the quality of work you can achieve with video editing software. Start by checking our leader Adobe Premiere Pro, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 7 Most Popular Video Editing Software
Best Video Editing Software
How To Choose The Best Video Editing Software
Video editing software can be used by amateurs and professionals alike to edit video files for fun or commercial purposes. There are numerous free and paid platforms in this category available in the market. Each offers its own set of features that can be easy or difficult to use depending on your level of expertise. So, how do you select the best video editing software for your specific needs? We help you in this task by providing details on the standard features you can expect in this type of system and the other relevant factors you should consider while searching.
Get to know each product with free trial
Start your quest for the best video editing software by signing up for the free trial or demo offered by popular video editing software providers. This will enable you to test drive each application’s top features free of cost, do a general comparison, and gauge their suitability for your purposes. Start by visiting the websites of the following leading tools to check the possibility of availing a free trial: Adobe Premiere Pro, CyberLink PowerDirector, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate, Magix Movie Edit Pro, and Final Cut Pro. These programs have received high rankings in our video editing software reviews, so check them out.
- At-home hobbyists and amateurs can utilize this software for fun purposes.
- Full-time video editing professionals can invest in a system that offers advanced features to be able to produce superior quality work.
Examples of Video Editing Software
- Adobe Premiere Pro: You can make attractive videos anywhere with this top tool for professionals. Create quality productions for web, TV, and film. Key features are neat interface, custom markers, and flexible trimming tools. This software operates smoothly with third party solutions and other Adobe CS products.
- CyberLink PowerDirector: A capable and fast video editing software application for Windows. This consumer-level platform supports 360-degree VR footage. Main features include multicam editing, look-up table support, color match, and express project templates. In short, video makers can easily utilize this tool to produce professional-quality videos.
- Pinnacle Studio Ultimate: Designed for professional-level users. Offers top rate editing tools and effects such as motion tracking, multicam editing, and stop-motion. The latest version stands out for its simple interface and tons of effects. Key features include direct online sharing, solid audio tools, 4K support, and good titling.
- Magix Movie Edit Pro: A popular video editing software in Europe produced by Germany’s Magix company. This application guides you on all video editing aspects from cutting videos to burning them on DVD. The 2018 edition offers better stabilization, in-app plug-in store, HEVC support, and 360-degree editing. Other top features include pleasant interface and trailer-like movie templates.
- Final Cut Pro: Offers speed and power for the new generation of video editors. The latest edition boasts a clean new look and a low-profile interface that increases work space. An interesting feature is the improved Magnetic Timeline 2 feature that offers flexible layouts based on roles and automatic color coding. The latest release is ideal for the new MacBook Pro as it supports wide color workflows and the Touch Bar.
Types of Video Editing Software
There are 4 main types of video editing and depending on your needs you can select a suitable solution:
- Film splicing. Technically, this is film editing and not video editing. You can use a splicing machine to line up the film footage while cutting or splicing it.
- Tape to tape (linear). This is an outdated method that is still utilized in some situations. It involves copying video from one tape to another.
- Digital/computer (non-linear). Video editors use specialized software to edit video footage on a computer and then record the finished product on an optical disk or tape.
- Live editing. A good example is live television coverage where multiple cameras are routed through a central console for mixing and editing in real time.
Key Features of Video Editing Software
- Automate titles to sequence. If you need to lay down a number of titles in a sequence, you can create a series of markers on the timeline on which the titles should land.
- Import clips. Use the standard media browser tool to import clips and navigate your operating system to find files.
- Move-insert edit. Allows you to move a clip in a sequence without producing any gaps.
- Conform audio levels. Enables you to select multiple audio clips with different sound levels and conform the audio levels.
- Top and tail editing. Allows you to cut the in or out point of a clip and ripples all adjacent clips in the timeline after the edit is done.
Benefits of Video Editing Software
- No need for plug-ins. You don’t need to install any plug-ins. Simply record the video on your smartphone or small camera and edit the footage on your computer.
- Saves money. You don’t have to pay for the services of a video editing professional as the software enables even novices and amateurs to edit videos easily on their computer.
- Enhances video quality. The software enables you to convert poor quality footage into high definition, high resolution videos.
- Create videos at home. Even amateurs can use basic video editing software solutions to create and edit videos at home. You can also easily customize the videos according to your needs and taste.
- Add music. Add a thrilling background score to make your videos more compelling.
- Add effects. Make your videos more interesting by adding narration, callouts, changing the order of clips, and editing out bad stuff.
Mobile video editing software. Professional video editing software solutions can be expected to go mobile following the trend set by top-quality photo editing systems such as Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop that launched their smartphone editions a couple of year ago. Now, we can expect vendors of video editing software platforms to launch mobile apps to provide seamless mobility and ease of use.
Live video editing is becoming popular.
Live videos are a happening trend on YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. As a result, live video editing is becoming common on these platforms. It involves more than applying just emoji and filters. There is a boom in live video transitions and editors are applying overlays, titles, end credits etc. to enhance the video effect.
Computer crash. This can easily happen especially if your computer is not cut out for the demanding task of video editing. The solution is to save often and after each group of edits and moves you make. This ensures you are covered even if your compute freezes.
Mismatched sound levels. When you shoot different clips in different locations, there is bound to be a mismatch in the audio levels. Video editing software helps you to resolve this issue as you can adjust the sound levels of entire clips or segments within them. You can even add effects and EQ (equalization) to your audio tracks.
List of Video Editing Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our platform employs our special SmartScore™ approach to gather information about all the applications in the Video Editing Software category to help you pick the best possible solution. It takes into consideration the following elements: core features, collaboration features, customization, integrations with other services, simplicity, customer support, how secure a software is, mobile support, scores in other media. At the moment, Final Cut Pro is the leader in this category and our experts are really satisfied with it. After thorough examination it received the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A look at general user satisfaction with the products in our Video Editing Software category based on our unique algorythm that collects client reviews, comments and opinions across a wide range of social media sites to help you make an educated buying decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Video Editing Software category will have a different set of pricing plans for its app and each package will include a unique group of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest package provided for each app. Keep in mind that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
A summary of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B tools in the Video Editing Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check what languages and geographies are served by the best B2B apps in the Video Editing Software category, including spftware aimed at international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Examine what pricing packages are supported by the vendors in the Video Editing Software category to see which one matches your business requirements and expenses best. Keep in mind that certain services can support free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
A brief look at which kinds of customers a given B2B platform in the Video Editing Software category aims for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what types of service deployement are offered by each B2B vendor in the Video Editing Software category. Even though most of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-based there are services might offer an on-site deployment model as well.